What is ISO 27001 standard and why is it so important for business?
Information is one of the most valuable assets of companies and organizations today. Therefore, ensuring their security should be a priority for every enterprise, regardless of its size and sector. The best guarantee of information resource protection is the implementation of the ISO 27001 standard. What exactly is this standard, and why is it necessary for an organization?
The vast majority of companies have control mechanisms in place that allow them to assure their customers and business partners that they manage information security appropriately. However, we can only talk about truly working and conscious management of information assets when these controls are not accidental and are implemented with a real intention to protect information resources.
The implementation of the ISO/IEC 27001 standard guarantees that the organization has identified threats and implemented appropriate preventive measures to protect against security breaches.
What is ISO 27001?
The ISO 27001 standard is an international standard that standardizes information security management systems (ISMS). This standard specifies requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining, and continuously improving an information security management system. Additionally, it contains guidelines for assessing and handling risks related to information security.
Firms and organizations that declare the implementation of the standard may be audited and subsequently certified as compliant with the standard. Meanwhile, an individual who completes the appropriate course can obtain a certificate confirming their knowledge of the standard and, for example, become a certified auditor in a company.
What is an information security management system?
An Information Security Management System (ISMS) is a systematic approach to managing sensitive company information so that it remains secure. It encompasses people, processes and IT systems.
What is ISO 27001 certification?
ISO 27001 certification is a confirmation that an organization meets the requirements of this standard and is fully compliant with it. A company can apply for certification by inviting an accredited certification body to conduct a certification audit, which, if successful, forms the basis for issuing the certification. The certificate is valid for three years.
Areas covered by ISO 27001 standard
Annex A of the standard distinguishes four areas that affect information security. These are:
- organizational security area,
- personnel security area,
- physical security area,
- technological security area.
Benefits of implementing the ISO 27001 standard for companies
The most important benefits of implementing ISO 27001 and/or obtaining certification for compliance with the standard are:
- ensuring that information assets are properly protected,
- maintaining the privacy and integrity of data,
- increasing awareness of threats and the need for appropriate security measures among employees,
- strengthening the organization's resilience to incidents,
- monitoring information processing processes,
- helping to define roles and responsibilities related to information processing,
- meeting legal requirements and the expectations of customers, contractors, and business partners,
- improving the quality of services and increasing customer credibility and trust,
- avoiding financial losses resulting from security breaches,
- increasing competitiveness in the market.
How much does implementing ISO 27001 in an organization cost?
The cost of implementation and certification depends on the size and complexity of the information security management system (ISMS) scope, which varies depending on the organization.
Read also: Principles and techniques for testing Business Continuity Plans
Professional development and ISO certification: how to become an auditor?
ISO 27001 standard not only plays an important role in the information security management process in organizations. It is also important for individuals who want to expand their skills in the field of security and information protection.
Through appropriate training and passing the exam, you can obtain a certificate confirming knowledge of the standard and become an internal auditor in a company or an auditor in certification bodies. It is worth choosing such training that guarantees obtaining a recognized and valued certification worldwide, e.g. PECB certified training.
The most popular PECB certified training courses related to ISO 27001 standard are:
- Foundation – training for people who want to learn the basics of the standard and the main stages of implementation;
- Lead Implementer – training for advanced practitioners and consultants;
- Lead Auditor – training for auditors in certification bodies and consultants, as well as people who will conduct internal audits in the company.
The ISO 27001 standard always brings benefits
Implementation of ISO 27001 in an organization, whether as a tool to support information security management or as preparation for certification, always brings benefits to the company. It demonstrates professionalism, strengthens the image and competitiveness, and above all ensures that information assets are properly protected.
For individuals, knowledge of the ISO standard can be a ticket to finding a better job and earning higher salaries. Therefore, processes related to ISO standards, both those carried out by individuals and enterprises, should be conducted under the supervision of experienced specialists.
Looking for support in the area of ISO 27001? As part of our services, we offer:
- advisory services, development and implementation of ISMS documentation, maturity assessments, compliance audits with ISO standards
- PECB certified training for beginners, practitioners, and auditors (in-person, online or self-study)
Want to know more? Contact us: email@example.com