What is ISO 22361 and how does it aid in crisis management?
In today's business world, where crises and unexpected situations are nearly inevitable, managing them effectively becomes a key element of every organization's strategy. One of the tools that assists leaders in effective crisis management is ISO 22361. In this article, we explain what this standard is precisely and how it enhances business resilience.
Crises can have various causes and consequences, but they always pose a threat to operational continuity, the company's reputation, and the safety of employees. Therefore, every leader should be prepared to deal with crisis situations and have a plan in case they occur.
ISO 22361: what is it?
ISO 22361 is an international standard developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). This document provides guidelines for identifying crises, planning, and preparing organizations to manage crisis situations (including responding during and after their occurrence).
ISO 22361 is primarily targeted at top-level management in all types of organizations, from public institutions and businesses to large corporations and non-profit organizations. It is also a significant document for professionals responsible for crisis management.
Contents of ISO 22361
The most important chapters of ISO 22361 include:
- context, core concepts, principles and challenges (see Clause 4);
- developing an organization’s crisis management capability (see Clause 5);
- crisis leadership (see Clause 6)
- the decision-making challenges and complexities facing a crisis team in action (see Clause 7);
- crisis communication (see Clause 8);
- training, validation and learning from crises (see Clause 9).
ISO 22361 and other ISO standards
ISO 22361 is compatible with other ISO standards related to risk management, business continuity, and information security, making it easier to integrate management systems within an organization. This standard complements norms such as ISO 22300, ISO 22301, ISO 22313, ISO 22329, and ISO 22398.
How ISO 22361 assists leaders in crisis management
This standard, like other ISO standards, is not just a set of principles and guidelines written on paper. The implementation of ISO 22361 in practice helps leaders and organizations manage crises by:
- facilitating the identification and analysis of potential threats and risks (crucial for preparing organizations to respond to various crisis scenarios);
- providing frameworks and procedures for planning, preparation, and response to crises (enabling quick and effective crisis management);
- strengthening an organization's ability to cope with uncertainty and change,
- establishing clear communication procedures and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders;
- monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of crisis actions, enabling continuous improvement of strategies and procedures, ultimately resulting in more efficient crisis management.
Benefits of implementing ISO 22361 in an organization
Leaders who implement this standard in their organizations notice positive impacts on daily operations. Benefits for business operations include:
- increased resilience to crises and the ability to quickly restore normal operations;
- building an organization's capacity to adapt to changing market and societal conditions;
- improved communication and collaboration with all stakeholders, including customers, suppliers, and the media;
- enhanced trust and credibility of the company in the eyes of customers and stakeholders;
- reduction of financial, operational, and legal losses resulting from crises;
- ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- increased competitiveness by leveraging opportunities arising from crises.
Gain knowledge and skills for leadership in crisis management
The "PECB Certified Lead Crisis Manager" training provides an ideal opportunity to acquire the essential skills for leadership in crisis management. This training prepares you to manage crises effectively, implement procedures in line with ISO 22361, and apply the knowledge directly within your organization. Upon completion of the training, you will receive an international PECB certificate confirming your qualifications.
This training is designed for anyone looking to enhance their crisis management skills, especially:
- leaders of crisis management teams;
- members of crisis management teams;
- individuals responsible for developing crisis management skills within an organization;
- individuals responsible for implementing crisis management plans and structures within an organization;
- those looking to start or advance a career in the field of crisis management.
You can find the full "PECB Certified Lead Crisis Manager" training program here. Don't hesitate, and enroll today!